Posted by Happy Homemaker UK

First of all, let me just say it is difficult to play my kids game of 'Unscramble The Halloween Word' when the word unscrambled is spelled incorrectly in the first place.

I have a hard enough time with this game, but throw in 'dlub' to be unscrambled as 'blud' (blood) - well, the kids think I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. Hey, no fair! Love the kid moments :)

Isn't this fantastic?  {via Centsational Girl}

In the US, Halloween and Trick-Or-Treating are practically synonymous. Not so in the UK. Whereas  Halloween was created hundreds of years ago in this part of the world, Trick-Or-Treating is an American tradition that began only in the 1950s.

It has been interesting to see how trick-or-treating is observed here. My sense is the older generation is nervous about this childhood activity - strangers coming to their door asking for candy. It is an unusual  tradition, isn't it?

I think the dark side of Halloween has been the association with October 31st for a long time. I've heard many fear 'tricks' could be played by the children or by the homeowner - and I'm certainly not one to say if this fear is valid or not. 

Most of the parents with small children did not trick-or-treat when they were kids, so it is a newer tradition that is evolving.  In a country filled with so many old traditions, I find it exciting and fascinating to be part of a new one :)

{Centsational Girl}

So far I've learned we are only to visit homes with a pumpkin displayed. When we ring the bell, I think we say 'Sweet or No Sweet' or perhaps nothing at all. I'll know more tomorrow :)  The kids will be given candy, cookies, or coins.

Costumes are traditional Halloween garb and only fill half an aisle in the stores, if at all - monsters, ghosts, and witches. I've heard they think it odd to have a cute little Minnie Mouse ring the doorbell.

Another interesting element is next weekend is Guy Fawkes Night, which includes fireworks and the burning of an effigy over a bonfire. This event sounds dark and eerie to me, but I have been assured it is a family friendly night with games and bonfires at most schools.

I sense that having Halloween and Bonfire Night so close together can encourage bad behavior from some over the next seven days - another reason some are nervous about this time of year.

I often realize what is 'very American' only when it is absent. This is true for candy corn and peanut butter candy bars, which are only sold in the American grocery stores here. How I'll miss my Reece's Peanut Butter Cup loot from my kids Halloween bags :)

Tomorrow my little muffins will transform into Harry Potter characters and will celebrate Halloween and trick-or-treating with our fabulous new neighbors. Fortunately for us, there will be a lot of pumpkins outside the doors on our street :)

Happy Halloween & Trick-Or-Treating wherever you are,

XO Laura

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top