Posted by Happy Homemaker UK



(Source: Pinterest)


Thank you for joining me for another Fab Confab :)

When I moved here, I asked if the United Kingdom was a country. Unanimously, the reply was 'yes'. Then I'd ask (not to be 'cheeky'), then what is England? I'd get blank stares, unsure how to answer this because they didn't know. One English friend sent me a map (below) after she did some research (thank you!).

Perhaps no place is more complicated to describe geopolitically. According to Wikipedia, I live in England, which is just one of the four countries within the country of the United Kingdom. Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland being the other three. 

Great Britain is the name of the island I live on. In the Olympics, I'll be cheering for Great Britain (or is it the UK?). And for the US too, of course. And when I buy something online, I scroll to United Kingdom for payment and shipping. Here is a map to clear it up at bit. 



Source: Wikipedia

So I posed the question to two English blogger friends, 'What does it really mean to be British versus English'? Like many foreigners, I throw these words around interchangeably. 

Response from Sarah of Modern Country Style


Source: Pinterest
Do I feel English or do I feel British? I feel both in equal measures and at different times. Confused? Me too!

I think the best analogy I can come up with is that of family-life.


When I was young and my little brother was annoying me, I had no problem giving him a bop on the arm. But woe betide ANYONE who tried to do the same to him in the playground at school. I'd be there in a flash to defend him.

And so it is in Britain. When the different countries making up the United Kingdom, squabble and occasionally have a bit of a scrap, then I feel English...but if another outside country came along and tried to biff Scotland or Wales or Northern Ireland then I'd be there in the twinkling of an eye to stand alongside my country.

And then within England, there's the North/South divide...and within the South, it's 'which county are you in?', and within Oxfordshire, 'which town'? And so it goes on.....and on!!

Sarah and I actually met yesterday for tea and Indian samosas. She is just as bright, smiley, and sparkly in person as she is through her blog. Thank you, Sarah, for sharing your take on being British vs. English :)  And your very English words are always a treat!

Next week, I will feature another blogger's view on this topic (here). 


Please feel free to join the conversation in the comment section. Thank you for reading!! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top